What's the Gospel?

"The Gospel is the news that Jesus Christ, the Righteous One, died for our sins and rose again, eternally triumphant over all his enemies, so that there is now no condemnation for those who believe, but only everlasting joy.
That’s the gospel." - John Piper

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Touch not, taste not.




I love books.

Went down to Koorong last week and was fortunate enough to pick up R.C. Sproul's commentary on Romans for a sweet $39.

Considering I've been coveting the entire Martyn Lloyd Jones series on Romans for what seems an eternity, at twenty something dollars per chapter you can imagine my joy to find that Sproul covers the entire book for under fifty bucks.

SOLD!


It's hardcover, with a dust jacket.


I CANNOT STAND DUST JACKETS.

gah.

Never read Sproul before, but he's from the Reformed camp so I don't suppose there will be any sneaky surprises.

It was quite the timely purchase, as on Wednesday night bible study we had a bit of a dive into Romans 14:1 - 15:7.

Given the fact that Romans is my favourite NT book and I have an enormous bible crush on the Apostle Paul, I was quite excited.

Here is a link to Romans chapter 14 if you wanna looky looky.

For the past 12 months I've been sorting through issues of the Conscience and Christian liberty kind.

'Touch not, taste not', pretty much.


I have struggled immensely with legalism in the past, still do to be truthful. God has graciously shown me how foolish it is to set up rules in place of walking in the Spirit, trusting that He will guide us each step of the way.

I do struggle with the 'weaker brother' principle though. It's all too easy to finger point at brothers and sisters within the camp who aren't persuaded of things that we might be, whether music, clothing or food related. Whatever the preference, it seems pretty clear that God doesn't want us to cause other members within the body to stumble if they're convinced in a matter one way or the other.

I am so thankful that He has given us freedom to make choices for ourselves.

To be led by the Holy Spirit is a wonderful thing. To imagine that Jesus is always one step in front of us, guiding us along the narrow path.

Not be forced into following a set of rules created by men in order to keep us on the right track with God.


Praise God for Calvary.

I am so glad there isn't anything I can do to merit or lose my salvation, that God holds me tightly in His hand and He won't be letting me go.


This is comforting, for I fail all the time.

We all do.

That's the beautiful thing about the gospel.


He loves us, despite us!


Incredible, truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment